The good old email might not be as trendy as Instagram or Snapchat but it is definitely getting things done. It is consistent and powerful when it comes to delivering a message. Most business owners take the email for granted.
However, it is popular and has a wide range of worldwide users. It is expected that email users will hit 2.9 billion by the end of 2019. If you are not making the most of email marketing, you are losing customers.
Almost 42% of users check their email in the morning. They are read all the time and everywhere. The open rate of an email across all the industries in 2016 stood at 25.7%. However, these numbers may vary and they could be higher or lower depending on the type of industry your business operates in. An email is a humble form of communication which has revolutionized the way all of us communicate. It is the most cost-efficient channel in the digital age.
Email marketing also involves seeking the permission of the recipient. Since it is not easy to catch hold of their email address, you only send emails to the people who ask to receive it. This is done by signing up or by subscribing to a list. It is a win-win situation for one and all. Marketers can use it to attract consumers and subscribers get to read what they are interested in. Consumers trust brands and companies based on their products and services and they would like to receive emails from them.
Steps to building an email marketing funnel to drive ROI
#1 Create a list:
- The first step is to create a list. Create a list starting from the previous year and do not think for a second to purchase it. You will have to get people on your site and get their contact details. You can do this by creating a special page where they can provide their details. This could be done through slide-ins or pop-ups.
- Use them for your business even though you might consider them as annoying. You can also add a call to action button. Put in some efforts and make it innovative.
- You need to use words which tempt the user to click on it and provide their email address. Provide something to the user for signing up for your emails. It could be an upgrade, a coupon or a free ebook.
- Share details about privacy protection and how their email address will not be used for any other purpose neither would it be shared with anyone else. Get the details and prepare an impeccable list.
#2 Use the list:
After putting in a lot of time and efforts in the creation of a list, you need to understand: How to build an email marketing funnel that drives massive ROI. You need to know what to do with the list once you have it. Use it wisely and avoid the common mistakes. Set up high-quality content which will go out to the users on a regular basis. Cultivate your relationship with the users and give them what they want.
#3 Bifurcate the list:
At this stage, you need to segment your list into smaller pieces by dividing the same into:
- new customers
- new subscribers
- big spenders
- weekly newsletter subscribers
- monthly subscribers, etc.
Segmenting the list will make it easier for you to send the material which is relevant to them.
#4 Tier the funnel:
- Your marketing funnel will allow you to understand the journey of the buyer from the start to finish. It might be wide at the top and will get narrower as you move through it.
- There are multiple stages of the funnel and you need to create email content for users at each stage.
- This is how you will be able to reach out to the target audience and ensure that the emails do not bounce.
- You need to understand each stage and the users at each stage of the journey.
- After segmenting the users at each stage, you need to deliver content that fits their requirements.
#5 Create campaigns for your business:
Once you write an effective campaign, you can set it on autopilot. Once you have got through the first phase of writing and learning, the email will grow your business. It will help you understand the actions taken by the users and you will be able to provide them with content that is relevant for them. Based on your users, you will know the kind of action you need to take.
There are certain email writing tips you need to follow to ensure higher clicks. The most important of them is to ensure a personalized subject line which has more chances to be opened. Once the email has been opened, you need to give strong subject lines that are also optimized for the mobile. This is where you will be able to catch the attention of the users. They will decide whether they want to read further or not. Lastly, end with a thank you note for subscribing to your page. You can also include a link to the homepage of your business with details about the latest products or services.
Email is a very effective tool for any size and type of a business. Hence, you should never overlook the power of email when you want to grow your customer. base. You will be required to put in some work and you will also have to track, measure and understand the targets. You will have to understand the funnel and see the type of users you have. In order to generate a higher ROI, you need to deliver content that fits their interests and needs. Email is not dead and you need to give it the attention it calls for. To succeed in your business, you need to use the right channels of marketing and optimize the same for smartphones to meet the expectations of the users.